Shaneanoh Carter is the recipient of the 2013-2014 Rotary Club of Barbados West Scholarship.
The announcement and presentation were made this evening during a brief ceremony at the Ministry of Education, Science, Technology and Innovation.
The 20-year-old is currently a second-year student pursuing her Bachelor’s in chemistry at the University of the West Indies, Cave Hill.
Director of youth services Winfield King noted that the scholarship was designed to provide funding for students who had been accepted at university, but could not handle the costs
“[We] are proud to be able to offer this scholarship and have offered it for a number of years now, with the help of our partners Diamonds International and Sandy Lane. We [recognize] that with the change of events at the university, where is the possibility of having to pay [additional] fees, that we are looking at increasing our funding; our sponsorship levels going forward,” he said.
The value is to a maximum of $15,000 over the course of study and is based on the actual cost of books, clothing, living expenses, guild fees and transport.
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- REGIONAL - Cruise Line warns passengers to avoid Fish Fry area in Bahamas
- Mobile App