One week after cricketing legend Desmond Haynes complained about the shabby treatment he received on March 9 while attempting to gain admission into the stand bearing his name at Kensington Oval, the Barbados Cricket Association today offered him a public apology and promised an investigation.
The apology comes in the wake of one top official at Kensington Oval indicating ignorance of the incident last week, and another stating she didn’t know what Haynes’ issue was and suggesting that when National Hero Sir Garfield Sobers visited the cricket facility he waited until he was allowed to enter.
Today’s BCA media release stated: “The BCA regrets the incident involving Mr Desmond Haynes which occurred on Sunday March 9, 2014, at Kensington Oval; As agent for the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) under whose auspices the recent T20 matches were played, the BCA has decided to investigate the reported incident fully; The BCA will report its findings to the WICB with any recommendations which the BCA might wish to make; The BCA President has expressed deep regret to Mr Haynes and the other Legends over the incident and has informed Mr Haynes of the action the BCA intends to take.”
Following the incident during the three-match England and West Indies Twenty20 International series, an incensed Haynes told the media he had spoken to an attorney-at-law and would be taking possible steps to have his name removed from the stand at Kensington Oval.
However officials at the Fontabelle, St. Michael facility indicated that any decision to remove Haynes’ name would have to be made at the level of the Barbados Cabinet, a decision which Minister of Sport Stephen Lashley said later had not even been discussed. He, too, expressed regret at the reported slight endured by Haynes who represented Barbados and the West Indies with great distinction between 1976 and 1997.
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- REGIONAL - Cruise Line warns passengers to avoid Fish Fry area in Bahamas
- Mobile App