A Canadian army man, who was shot while holidaying in Barbados last month, says he isn’t holding any grudge against the country, and plans to be back.
Jonathan Hubble, who was staying in Bath, St John, with his wife Heather (also in the Canadian Forces) and their 11-month-old daughter and other family members when confronted by armed masked men, says he still loves the island. He has expressed gratitude to the doctors and nurses at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, the Barbados Tourism Association, the Royal Barbados Police Force (RBPF) and the Canadian High Commission, which which all assisted him after the March 12 aggravated burglary and shooting.
Four men have since been arrested.
“It’s obviously going to always be a very sharp memory for us; but, given the outcome and given how grateful we are for how things turned out and the reactions of our family friends, our church here, . . . to us, it’s not a bad story. And it worked out okay,” Jonathan told CBC News in Canada in an interview at his Petawawa, Ontario home.
Jonathan was hit in the chest. Heather, who performed first aid while waiting for the ambulance to arrive, said in the interview that the bullet entered between two ribs and travelled downwards, landing near her husband’s tailbone where it remains. It missed all his major organs; and the parts it did hit were either repaired in surgery or will recover over time.
And while it may be ironic that after serving in conflict-stricken Afghanistan –– although in the operations centre and not on the front lines –– he ended up getting shot on a beach vacation, Jonathan says there’s risk in many places and the incident won’t keep him from the Barbados from which his grandmother hails and which his family has been visiting for years.
In any case, the Hubbles, career soldiers though they both be, say they prefer to focus on the positive.