The Barbados Under-16 netball team made it a perfect three wins from three games when they defeated Dominica 35-24 in the Caribbean Netball Association’s Jean Pierre U16 Tournament in Antigua early this morning.
Barbados led throughout the encounter with a 9-6 advantage after the first quarter, 20-10 at the half-time break, and 26-18 after the third period.
Once again it was captain and goal-shoot Shaniqua Thomas leading from the front with 17 goals from 24 attempts. She was however outscored by team-mate Zakaiya Kirton who netted 18 goals from her 28 attempts. Anoushka Botswain was the best percentage shooter on show, scoring 19 goals from 24 attempts for the Dominicans. Lhana Honore chipped in with five goals from ten attempts.
Yesterday Barbados defeated St Vincent and the Grenadines 30-20. Shakeillia Smith scored 19 goals from 28 attempts, while Thomas netted ten goals from 20 attempts and Alyssa Bynoe scored one goal. Once again the best shooter came from the losing side with Khady Williams’ soft shooting touch accounting for 20 goals from 22 attempts.
Barbados come up against the traditionally strong Jamaicans on Thursday night in what could be the tournament decider. Kirton, Thomas and Smith will have to work on their accuracy and raise their shooting percentages to contend with the Jamaicans.
Barbados, previous winners of the championship in 2005 and 2012, won their opening game against St Kitts.
Recent Local News
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- Mobile App