The KFC Champions Cup will be carrying a new format this year, says Mark “Bob” Forde of the Barbados Football Association.
During the launch of the knockout tournament held today at the Barbados Olympic Association, Forde said the tournament which includes all leagues from premier to division one, two and three, would not be seeded in an effort to try something different this year. The competition starts May 10 and the final is slated for June 29.
“This year we are not going to seed any teams like last year when we seeded the ten premier league teams. All teams would be placed in the bucket and we will shake and pull to draw the teams. This year we also allowed the division two and three teams to have their playoff first and at different stages bring in the higher teams because it is an open competition and a knockout competition and a team in the lower division coming through to this round feels confident that they could beat a premier league team and they should be given that opportunity,” Forde said.
He added nothing was wrong with the format and that the BFA was simply looking to add some excitement to the tournament by trying something new. He added if the format did not work out they might go back to the traditional format.
First prize winners will receive $20 000 while the runners-up will receive $10 000, the third place play-off winner takes home $5 000 and the fourth place winner will pocket $3 000.
Marketing coordinator of KFC, Shekelia Barrow, said during the draw that her company was very satisfied with what it had seen both on and
off the field.
“We believe in the power of youth and the power of sports and when you put the two together the sky is the limit for KFC,” Barrow said.
Forde said 32 teams would be contesting the knockout tournament. Rendezvous are the defending champions.
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- REGIONAL - Cruise Line warns passengers to avoid Fish Fry area in Bahamas
- Mobile App