Gabriela Cumberbatch is the new United Insurance Girls chess champion of Barbados.
She won the title as she swept all before her at the recently concluded championship to record six wins from her six games, to finish a full point ahead of her nearest rival in a field of approximately two dozen young chess lasses.
The quiet, well-mannered young lady who attends the Harrison College School played with great determination to win her first major championship.
Gabriela has been a consistent player throughout the last couple years, representing her school successfully in the United Insurance Secondary school championship as well as her country at such regional tournaments as the Carifta Chess championship.
In second place was Queens’ College’s Lydia Nurse, who finished on five points from a possible six.
Lydia was solid, only losing to the eventual champion Cumberbatch in their decisive head to head battle in round five in a heated top of the table clash.
A group of players finished on four points and ranked third to seventh on tie-break. In that order they were Jennifer Jiang and Segan Sandiford of Queens College, Azariah Johnson (Charles F Broome), Emerald Medford (Lodge) and Fazenna Bassalat also of Charles F Broome.
Players from nine schools took part.
The overall girls champion team was Queens College, followed by Charles F Broome and The Lodge School in third.
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- REGIONAL - Cruise Line warns passengers to avoid Fish Fry area in Bahamas
- Mobile App