The ridge was alive with the sweet sounds of soca yesterday, as thousands converged on the historic Farley Hill National Park.
Soca On The Hill this year attracted, by police estimates, over 8,500 people, many of who had started to gather from as early as 11 a.m. when the gates were officially opened.
And as opening act Power Circle struck the first chords, the early crowd, though at first small in number, showed what it was they had come for: the soca.
Throughout the evening, they would be treated to a packed programme: krosfyah, Kes The Band, Jaquain Hannibal Smith, Orlando Perez out of Britain, Timmy, Rameses, Stiffy, Star Quality, Villain, Veersewild, Brett, Ian iWeb Webster and Farmer Ubu.
These performers set the stage for what was to be a high-energy, all-out, sunset jam, featuring the likes of Soca Kartel, Gorg, Lil Rick And The HypaKids, and Porgie & Murda who are also Leadpipe & Saddis.
There were stellar performances too from Farmer Nappy, as he got everyone in what was the “biggest Crop Over fete” yet going with his Big People Party.
Blaxx too! He commanded the masses to Leh Go, who willingly obeyed as they were fed a strong diet of soca hits –– old and new –– from Skinny Fabulous, Peter Ram, Shaunta, Prince, Red Plastic Bag and Biggie Irie.
When the curtains came down on the event, many could be heard declaring “the Crop Over spirit now reach”.
- Local News
- GUYANA - Probe launched into death of cancer patients
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- Mobile App