PARAMARIBO – Suriname police have detained one man after 50 kilograms of cocaine was intercepted at the Johan Pengel International Airport.
Police said this was not the first time they have detained the unnamed man in relation to the illegal shipment of drugs.
Head of the Customs Department, Glenn Cruickshank, has described the shipment “as the largest catch we have done this year”.
The authorities said the cocaine was hidden in a refrigerated container with ground cassava, destined for the Netherlands. It has a street value of two million euros (BDS$5,160,000).
Recent Local News
- Ministry launches investigation into death at senior citizens home
- Update - Police release the name of Vauxhall victim
- Police probe another unnatural death in St Lucy
- Family mourns for Mario Peters
- Update: Police investigate homicide at senior citizens home
- Police probe unnatural death in Christ Church
- GUYANA - Probe launched into death of cancer patients
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- Mobile App