Coast Guard authorities in Barbados and St Lucia say they have located a missing couple, who left Castries for Bridgetown over the weekend, but never got here.
Arthur Alleyne, 63, also known as Captain Sam, and his wife Sharon Went-Alleyne, 59, are reportedly safe and sound and in good health.
However, spokeswoman for the Barbados Coast Guard Lieutenant Commander Fernella Cordell said the couple did suffer some dehydration, after their 47-foot vessel, the Serenity, developed engine failure and ran adrift.
“The captain attempted to reach safety just using sails [and] reported at 13:10 today [1 p.m. Barbados time] at Soufriere,” she said, adding that the captain had called the boat’s owner upon arrival.
The acting public relations officer spoke to Barbados TODAY after coast guard officials in neighbouring St Lucia had confirmed that the vessel was now anchored in Soufriere, on the south of the island.
Relatives and friends had been hoping and praying for the couple’s safe arrival.
Alleyne, an experienced sailor and boat captain with over 40 years’ experiencel, is the former captain of celebrity ship Brigg Unicorn, which was used in the filming of all three Pirates Of The Caribbean movies, as well as in the television series Roots.
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- REGIONAL - Cruise Line warns passengers to avoid Fish Fry area in Bahamas
- Mobile App