At least one of the eight members of the Employment Rights Tribunal who resigned last month is heading back to that body.
General Secretary of the Barbados Workers Union (BWU) Toni Moore has confirmed that Beverly Beckles will return as the union’s representative.
She said the union had already put forward Beckles’ name, but the Congress of Trade Unions and Staff Associations (CTUSAB), which is responsible for recommending the labour representatives, has not yet formally selected its team.
Sources told Barbados TODAY that Minister of Labour Dr Esther Byer was making a case for all of the former tribunal members to return to sit on a reconstituted panel.
However, when contacted, Acting General Secretary of the National Union of Public Workers (NUPW) Roslyn Smith expressed uncertainty as to whether that union’s representative would do so.
She also said she had to check with CTUSAB to determine what was going on with respect to labour’s representation on the panel.
CTUSAB President Cedric Murrell told Barbados TODAY the executive board would have to meet and a final determination would be made on the names to be submitted.
He said the board is scheduled to meet on January 22 but because of the urgency of the situation, that meeting may be brought forward.
Along with Beckles, the representatives of labour on the tribunal that collapsed on December 5 were labour specialist Elsworth Young, and retired school principal and former close associate of the Barbados Union of Teachers John Blackman.
Also stepping down were the Barbados Employers Confederation’s representatives Dr Hensley Sobers, Dr Ashwell Thomas and Colin Walcott.
Barbados TODAY has been informed that Queen’s Counsel Hal Gollop is expected to be the next chairman of the tribunal, succeeding attorney-at-law, Traece Codrington.
The case involving the retrenched National Conservation Commission (NCC) workers is expected to be the number one item on the agenda when the reconstituted tribunal meets.