House Speaker Michael Carrington recused himself from the chair at the start of today’s sitting of Parliament.
He took the action after the newly appointed leader of Opposition business in the House Santia Bradshaw raised strong objection to the Speaker remaining in his seat, in light of a publicised legal dispute between Carrington, who is an attorney, and one of his clients.
The Speaker immediately left the lower chamber and was replaced by Deputy Speaker Mara Thompson.
It was unclear whether this situation would obtain for the full duration of today’s session.
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- Mobile App