Prime Minister Freundel Stuart says he sympathizes with pensioners and other Government beneficiaries, who have recently been affected by a delay in payments.
The situation has reportedly been caused by a recent change over in computer system at the National Insurance Scheme (NIS).
However, speaking in Parliament today during debate on the Estimates of Revenue and Expenditure for 2015/2016, the Prime Minister said he had spoken to the Director of the NIS, Ian Carrington, this morning.
Stuart said he received an assurance from Carrington that corrective action continues to be made, and that a “substantial dent” in outstanding payments will be made by the end of this week.
Recent Local News
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- Mobile App