Folk singer and veteran calypsonian Michael Director Forde has died.
Forde, best known for his classic hit Sousie, which was released in 1985 and took him across North America and Europe, had been ailing with prostate cancer for some time.
He was 65.
Forde, who played the guitar, started out as a folk singer and was heavily involved in training students in the primary schools.
He was the lead singer with the Gospel Comforters and performed with various theatrical groups including Talk Tent and Pampalam.
He also performed as Director in the Cave Shepherd All Stars and the Celebrity Tent.
He leaves to mourn his wife Betty and three children – Kevin, Cecile and Janelle.
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- REGIONAL - Cruise Line warns passengers to avoid Fish Fry area in Bahamas
- Mobile App