The University of the West Indies Blackbirds (UWI) are the new queens of the Little League Gym Netball competition.
Last night at the Netball Stadium, UWI brushed aside last year’s champions Pine Hill St Barnabas 31-24 to claim the trophy.
UWI led the first quarter 12-6 and they continued their dominance throughout the game, holding 18-10 and 27-17 leads in the second and third quarters respectively. The university women’s success was an all-round team effort, led by their top goal-shooter Shonica Wharton who scored 22 of her 34 attempts. Goal-attack Rhea Holder netted nine from 14.
Sheniqua Thomas in her usual goal-attack role for St Barnabas netted 11 from 22, while there were also contributions from goal-shooters Carla Boyce with 7 from 11 attempts and Sherika Boxill 6 from 12. (ML)
Recent Local News
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- Mobile App