Police have confirmed the identity of the victim of Saturday night’s fatal fire, which occurred at Greenfield, St Michael.
He is Leroy Worrell, 71, a Barbadian by birth, who migrated to Boston as a youngster.
Worrell, a retired dental technician, who returns to his native island frequently, has been here for the past six months. He was due to return to the United States on April 30.
His close friend Lambert Alleyne, 79, was caught off guard by the news of his passing. He told Barbados TODAY he had just buried another one of his close friends earlier in the day.
He described Worrell as a nice and gentle fellow.
At the time of his death, he said Worrell was home alone.
Some of his neighbours reportedly heard him shouting for help and came to his rescue, but their efforts to save him were in vain.
The body of the elderly man was discovered in his bathroom after he perished in the blaze that engulfed his recently repaired wooden house, which was affectionately called “Ponte Rosa”.
The fire, which apparently started in Worrell’s home, also damaged two adjacent wooden dwellings.
Official investigations are continuing.
- Local News
- GUYANA - Probe launched into death of cancer patients
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- Mobile App