Barbados will have a new City Campus of the University of the West Indies (UWI) by year end.
In his final media conference before taking up his new post as Vice Chancellor of the UWI, outgoing Principal of Cave Hill Campus, Professor Sir Hilary Beckles announced this morning that the first set of students should start entering the former Mutual Building on Lower Broad Street where the City Campus is being housed.
Sir Hilary explained that these students would receive their academic instructions via video conferencing, a technology that is used successfully elsewhere.
He said there are plans to expand the City offerings even beyond the old Mutual Building.
The Vice Chancellor-designate, who takes up his new post on Friday, revealed that the Cave Hill Campus administration was currently in discussion with Minister of Housing and Lands, Denis Kellman to use a section of the old National Insurance
Building at the corner of Probyn Street and Fairchild Street to provide additional academic programmes of study.
Even though Sir Hilary will be based in Jamaica, he has offices at the other two UWI campuses – St Augustine in Trinidad and Tobago and Cave Hill – from where he will also be working at times.(EJ)
Recent Local News
- REGIONAL - Haitians seek water, food as businesses reopen
- GUYANA - Disabled woman perishes in fire
- REGIONAL - Bahamas Govt places repatriations of Haitians on hold amid unrest
- TRINIDAD - Police capture one of the country’s most wanted men
- CRICKET-WI/ENG-West Indies bracing for strong challenge, says Hope
- GUYANA - Vice Chancellor denies running University broke as staff calls for audit
- Mobile App