President Francois Hollande announced today, during the official unveiling of the Memorial ACTe in Point-A-Pitre, Guadeloupe, that France will cancel all of Haiti’s debt.
Those present, including Prime Minister Freundel Stuart, St Vincent and the Grenadines’ Dr Ralph Gonsalves and Dominica’s Roosevelt Skerrit, immediately gave him a standing ovation, while other members of the delegation broke down into tears upon hearing the announcement.
However, Hollande, who revealed he would be travelling to Haiti later in the day and who is also due to visit Cuba, also appeared to reject the idea of monetary reparations.
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- Mobile App