Minister of Culture Stephen Lashley is appealing to patrons to party responsibly, as Barbados officially kicks off its annual cultural showpiece, Crop Over.
The first major event planned is a mega cavalcade at Queen’s Park, The City, on Friday.
“[I’m sending out] a special appeal to all that will be involved in Crop Over, that you should enjoy it, but remember that we can be responsible,” said Lashley.
“As adults we can be good examples for our young people,” he added, while addressing the annual Crop Over Thanksgiving Service at the St James Anglican Church this morning.
The Government spokesman also stressed the importance of having Crop Over start off on the right footing.
“This year of course will be an even bigger and better festival. So if you thought last year was big, look out for this year,” he said.
“I, as usual, will be in the middle of everything,” said Lashley, who apart from his official responsibilities, is a regular face among the large crowd of Grand Kadooment revellers.
“Being in the midst of the crowd, I am able to hear so much feedback in an informal setting. They tell me their true feelings when I’m on the ground with them,” he said.
Before a gathering that also included the Chairperson of the National Cultural Foundation (NCF), Maureen Graham, the NCF’s CEO Cranston Browne, Senators Harcourt Husband and Maxine McClean, as well reigning King and Queen of Crop, the 2014 calypso monarch Ian Webster and several other partners and sponsors of the festival, the Minister of Culture thanked all involved for their support.