The National Union of Public Workers is threatening to take the management of Barbados Investment and Development Corporation (BIDC) to court over its retrenchment practices.
The NUPW claims that the corporation unlawfully forced 13 employees over the age of 60 into early retirement today, one day ahead of a scheduled meeting with the union.
The move saw workers walking off the job around 3 p.m., today.
It also resulted in one female employee being rushed by ambulance to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital for medical attention.
- VENEZUELA - Soldiers abandon posts at Colombia border
- REGIONAL - Haitians seek water, food as businesses reopen
- GUYANA - Disabled woman perishes in fire
- REGIONAL - Bahamas Govt places repatriations of Haitians on hold amid unrest
- TRINIDAD - Police capture one of the country’s most wanted men
- CRICKET-WI/ENG-West Indies bracing for strong challenge, says Hope
- Mobile App