A fire of unknown origin broke out at Depearl’s Day Care sometime after mid-night this morning and significantly damaged the Codrington Hill, St Michael property to an undetermined value.
Speaking to Barbados TODAY at the scene this morning, the distraught owner and principal of the school, Depearl Nurse-Worrell, said she got a call about 1 a.m. informing that the property was burning and she subsequently went to the school.
The rear section of the school was gutted. That area alone caters to about 75 children between ages 18 months and four years. The front section of the property where those under 18 months are looked after was not damaged.
A tent which was in place at the back of the school for a graduation ceremony held on Sunday was also damaged by the fire. The property, which is insured, employs about 14 persons.
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- Mobile App