Two hundred people were evacuated today from Dominica’s south eastern Petite Savanne community which was destroyed by Tropical Storm Erika last Thursday.
The mission was led by the Barbados Coast Guard with assistance from their local counterparts as well as the Antigua police and fire department.
The sick, disabled and elderly were the first to be removed from the storm-ravaged community, which was declared one of nine disaster areas by Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit on Saturday. They were followed by women and children, with the men being the last to leave. (MCW)
- VENEZUELA - Soldiers abandon posts at Colombia border
- REGIONAL - Haitians seek water, food as businesses reopen
- GUYANA - Disabled woman perishes in fire
- REGIONAL - Bahamas Govt places repatriations of Haitians on hold amid unrest
- TRINIDAD - Police capture one of the country’s most wanted men
- CRICKET-WI/ENG-West Indies bracing for strong challenge, says Hope
- Mobile App