Anthony Martial marked his Manchester United debut with a stunning goal to help his side beat Liverpool at Old Trafford.
Christian Benteke’s equally stunning overhead kick had thrown Liverpool a lifeline after Daley Blind’s crisp finish and Ander Herrera’s penalty had put Louis van Gaal’s side in control.
It was the signal for Martial, the 19-year-old signed from Monaco for £36m on deadline day, to make himself an instant hero after coming on as a second-half substitute, slaloming between Nathaniel Clyne and Martin Skrtel before a composed finish in front of the Stretford End.
United keeper David de Gea, who made his first appearance of the season after signing a new four-year contract following the breakdown of his move to Real Madrid, proved his worth with fine saves from Danny Ings and Jordon Ibe.
Liverpool, however, were uncharacteristically tame for a fixture against their fierce rivals.
The win lifts United into second place in the Premier League table behind Manchester City.
- Local News
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- REGIONAL - Cruise Line warns passengers to avoid Fish Fry area in Bahamas
- Mobile App