Police, fire and emergency officials are on the scene of a reported gas leak at the Barbados National Oil Company Limited in Woodbourne, St Philip.
Residents told Barbados TODAY they began experiencing burning eyes, while some complained they could not breathe around 8 p.m.
Police spokesman ASP David Welch told Barbados TODAY the leak was caused by a ruptured gas main.
Well-placed sources also told Barbados TODAY there was no immediate fire threat and no need for alarm.
He explained that the problem stemmed from a well, which was bleeding gas.
Meanwhile, some residents in nearby communities said they were forced to seek medical treatment and have since been advised to leave their homes.
- Local News
- REGIONAL - Haitians seek water, food as businesses reopen
- GUYANA - Disabled woman perishes in fire
- REGIONAL - Bahamas Govt places repatriations of Haitians on hold amid unrest
- TRINIDAD - Police capture one of the country’s most wanted men
- CRICKET-WI/ENG-West Indies bracing for strong challenge, says Hope
- GUYANA - Vice Chancellor denies running University broke as staff calls for audit
- Mobile App