Baroness Patricia Scotland has been elected Commonwealth Secretary General, becoming the first woman to hold the title.
Baroness Scotland was Dominica’s nominee for the post, and was also supported by Barbados.
At today’s vote at the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Malta, she defeated the other Caribbean candidate, Ronald Sanders, who was nominated by Antigua and Barbuda, and had the backing of the majority of Caribbean Community (CARICOM) leaders.
Baroness Scotland succeeds Kamalesh Sharma, who has held the post since 2008.
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- REGIONAL - Cruise Line warns passengers to avoid Fish Fry area in Bahamas
- Mobile App