Police say they are continuing investigations into reports of two incidents involving female students of the Cave Hill Campus of the University of the West Indies, as they seek to clarify media reports surrounding both cases.
A statement from police spokesman, Acting Assistant Superintendent David Welch, referred to an article published in Friday’s Weekend Nation newspaper, which addressed the incidents – one of a female student who was reported missing, and the other, alleged attack on a Dominican student.
“With respect to the missing female student, contrary to the article, based on our investigations, the information published is untrue. We refute the information printed.
“The student was never found disoriented on Batts Rock Beach. The CCTV security footage of the UWI Campus was scrutinised and nothing was found to support that she was taken against her will from the institution. Our investigations show that the student left the campus alone, driving her motorcar,” a statement from police spokesman, Assistant Superintendent David Welch said.
Police say they are continuing to investigate an incident involving a Dominican student which allegedly occurred off the campus in Cave Hill.
“We want to assure students and the public that there is nothing to fear as a result of these two reports. We will endeavour to update the public as to the progress of these investigations,” Welch said.
- Govt ‘making up’ with former commissioner – Senator Franklyn
- ‘Make money from Sargassum seaweed’
- Fishing boat credit scheme being explored - Humphrey
- Electric buses ‘by year-end’, says Abrahams
- Protest near US Embassy in support of President Nicolas Maduro
- PM denies giving diplomatic passport, $100,000 waiver to Hartley Henry
- TRINIDAD - Police capture one of the country’s most wanted men
- CRICKET-WI/ENG-West Indies bracing for strong challenge, says Hope
- GUYANA - Vice Chancellor denies running University broke as staff calls for audit
- REGIONAL - Haiti inmates escape from Aquin prison
- GUYANA - ‘Clean up the list’
- THE BAHAMAS - Haitian sloop survivors will be repatriated
- Mobile App