St George South MP, Dwight Sutherland, has been assigned the shadow Health portfolio, one week after the former holder, Christ Church West MP Dr Maria Agard, was booted from the Barbados Labour Party.
Opposition leader and leader of the BLP, Mia Mottley, made the announcement in a statement dated November 28th.
The Health portfolio has been added to Sutherland’s existing responsibilities as the Shadow Minister of Labour and Social Security.
The BLP’s National Council expelled Dr Agard last Sunday night after she and her lawyers walked out of a meeting at which several disciplinary charges were laid against her. The meeting and subsequent expulsion brought to an end a bitter dispute between Dr Agard and her constituency branch in Christ Church West, which forced calls from current and former BLP members to settle the matter as quickly as possible for the good of the party.
Dr Agard’s lawyers have indicated they plan to go to court to challenge her expulsion.
- REGIONAL - Haitians seek water, food as businesses reopen
- GUYANA - Disabled woman perishes in fire
- REGIONAL - Bahamas Govt places repatriations of Haitians on hold amid unrest
- TRINIDAD - Police capture one of the country’s most wanted men
- CRICKET-WI/ENG-West Indies bracing for strong challenge, says Hope
- GUYANA - Vice Chancellor denies running University broke as staff calls for audit
- Mobile App