Members of the Barbados Council for the Disabled (BCD) were gathered outside the Massy Supermarket in Warrens, St Michael today collecting signatures for a petition.
They are seeking a change to the Road Traffic Act.
BCD members, who are aiming to get at least 1,000 signatures in support of their campaign, want provision to be made for mandatory disabled-only parking spaces at both Government and private sector establishments.
They are also asking that violators be fined.
These provisions are consistent with those in the United Conventions on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, to which Barbados is a signatory.
Barbadians, who missed out on today’s exercise, have been invited to place their signature online at the change.org petition website.
- Local News
- REGIONAL - Haitians seek water, food as businesses reopen
- GUYANA - Disabled woman perishes in fire
- REGIONAL - Bahamas Govt places repatriations of Haitians on hold amid unrest
- TRINIDAD - Police capture one of the country’s most wanted men
- CRICKET-WI/ENG-West Indies bracing for strong challenge, says Hope
- GUYANA - Vice Chancellor denies running University broke as staff calls for audit
- Mobile App