Protest erupts in St Vincent and the Grenadines resulting in the delay of the swearing-in ceremony of Dr Ralph Gonsalves as Prime Minister.
Reports out of Kingstown say supporters of the New Democratic Party (NDP) blocked the gates leading to the Governor General’s residence where the ceremony was expected to take place at 2.00 p. m.
Riot police had to be called in to bring order to the situation.
NDP leader Arnhim Eustace has refused to accept preliminary results showing the Unity Labour Party winning eight seats to his party’s seven in yesterday’s general election.
He has demanded a recount of ballots, which is currently underway in at least one constituency.
Eustace was adamant that Dr Gonsalves should not be sworn in until the results of the elections are final.
- REGIONAL - Haitians seek water, food as businesses reopen
- GUYANA - Disabled woman perishes in fire
- REGIONAL - Bahamas Govt places repatriations of Haitians on hold amid unrest
- TRINIDAD - Police capture one of the country’s most wanted men
- CRICKET-WI/ENG-West Indies bracing for strong challenge, says Hope
- GUYANA - Vice Chancellor denies running University broke as staff calls for audit
- Mobile App