West Indies all-rounder Marlon Samuels has been banned from bowling in international cricket for 12 months following an independent assessment of his action, which took place at the ICC’s accredited testing centre in Brisbane earlier this month.
Officials assessed the 34-year-old after the legality of his bowling action came under question during the West Indies’ first Test against Sri Lanka in Galle which occurred October 14-17.
Following the match, Samuels was reported by the officials pursuant to the ICC Regulations for the Review of Bowlers Reported with Suspected Illegal Bowling Actions and subsequently underwent the independent assessment in Brisbane in accordance with the Regulations.
The assessment revealed that Samuel’s elbow extension exceeded 15 degrees while bowling and, thus, he employed an illegal bowling action.
Samuels was previously suspended from bowling his faster deliveries in international cricket in December 2013.
As a result of this second suspension within two-years, Samuels was automatically suspended from bowling in international cricket for a year.
He is entitled to appeal any procedural aspect of the independent assessment that has led to this automatic suspension.
Samuels must however wait until his one-year ban expires to approach the ICC for a re-assessment of his bowling action.
- Govt ‘making up’ with former commissioner – Senator Franklyn
- ‘Make money from Sargassum seaweed’
- Fishing boat credit scheme being explored - Humphrey
- Electric buses ‘by year-end’, says Abrahams
- Protest near US Embassy in support of President Nicolas Maduro
- PM denies giving diplomatic passport, $100,000 waiver to Hartley Henry
- TRINIDAD - Police capture one of the country’s most wanted men
- CRICKET-WI/ENG-West Indies bracing for strong challenge, says Hope
- GUYANA - Vice Chancellor denies running University broke as staff calls for audit
- REGIONAL - Haiti inmates escape from Aquin prison
- GUYANA - ‘Clean up the list’
- THE BAHAMAS - Haitian sloop survivors will be repatriated
- Mobile App