PORT OF SPAIN –– Nathan Barcoo-Campo, 13, who was severely chopped by a cutlass-wielding bandit at his Las Lomas #3 home on December 27, yesterday succumbed to his injuries.
Barcoo-Campo was attacked by the bandit as he heroically attempted to protect his three-year-old sister Rebecca from the intruder, who had viciously attacked his mother Claudia, 41, moments before, and was severely chopped on the head and body during the ordeal.
The Form 2 Trinity College East student had been warded in critical condition at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, Mt Hope, and was on life support until
he died at around midday yesterday.
His mother underwent facial repositioning surgery on Tuesday and was subsequently discharged. She was chopped multiple times about the body and head.
But amidst all the family’s grief yesterday, the teen’s father O’Neil Barcoo-Campo, 48, said he bore no hate and held no malice towards the perpetrator or perpetrators of the crime.
“This is a disturbing situation and I do not wish anyone into a situation like this. Nathan’s mother, despite her injuries, has been recovering well. She is very strong and was able to see her son moments before he died. She and I, both, have accepted God’s will,” Barcoo-Campo told the T&T Guardian.
Barcoo-Campo said that since his wife’s discharge from hospital she had been staying at an undisclosed location with relatives.
“We are keeping her safe because we really do not know the circumstances behind the entire incident and therefore we do not want to take any chances because we don’t know if the people are still around looking,” he said.
Barcoo-Campo thanked family and friends for the fervent prayers and continued support.
“When this happened to Nathan and his mum, they were both covered with prayers, and I am very grateful for that,” he said.
“Nathan was a very special child and well-loved by all. He was visited by Pastor Davis who prayed for him and us as well while at his [Nathan’s] bedside.”
Barcoo-Campo said he was expected to meet with police investigators on the case, which will now become a murder investigation as well.
Nathan’s death has been recorded as the third murder for 2016, as the New Year’s Day death of Rondel Ramnath, 6, and pensioner Alvina Warner, both of Beetham Gardens, are yet to be classified by police investigators. Ramnath and Warner were allegedly shot by gunmen who randomly opened fire as they ushered in the New Year in the form of “Happy Fire”.
The incident occurred at about 6:30 p.m. on December 27, when the suspect went to Barcoo-Campo’s house at Opal Avenue, Las Lomas #3, and called out to Claudia, who operates a plant business. The man had expressed his interest in purchasing some rose plants. Claudia reportedly took the potential customer to the rose plant area, but was instead brutally attacked.
Investigating officers said that as she turned her back from the man, he whipped out a cutlass and chopped her in the head, face and body.
The suspect then entered the house and attempted to get the keys to the family’s Nissan Tiida car but was confronted by Nathan. During a struggle Nathan was dealt several chops. The suspect then escaped in the family’s car.
Corporal Roach is investigating.