Many entertainers, several of whom have passed through the Richard Stoute Teen Talent Contest, turned out last Sunday to pay tribute and celebrate with the Godfather Of Local Entertainment Richard Stoute on his 70th birthday.
Gathered at Divi Southwinds Beach Resort in St Lawrence, Christ Church, they serenaded him in song and paid him high tribute. Stoute told Bajan Vibes it was an amazing experience for him.
“It was a wonderful day. I felt a lot of love coming form the Barbadian people and I was so pleased to see the turnout. I love the love that was given by my colleagues. Lew Kirton, Shirley Stewart, Jeff Hackett all flew in from the United States and Canada to celebrate with me. It’s an experience I will remember forever,” he said.
Stoute added that he was glad he had got the chance to receive and smell the flowers while he was still alive.
The Richard Stoute Teen Talent founder also thanked the media for being there “with me to do something productive for our young people”.
Stoute urged fellow Barbadians to be “more aware that we are entering our 50th Independence anniversary” and that they needed to send the message abroad that “we are the best people in the world”.
“Let’s stop the violence,” he pleaded.
Also in attendance at the birthday bash was Minister of Culture Stephen Lashley, who promised Stoute he would do all he could to ensure the young people from his competition had the opportunity to showcase their music on stage during the Crop Over. Stoute had been lobbying for this for quite some time.
An elated Stoute said he was glad the minister had seen the point he was making.
“I am extremely happy about that.
“It was something I was asking for over the years. I thank the media too for highlighting what I feel about this –– suggesting to the powers that they highlight other genres of music.”
Added the veteran entertainer: “All I have been trying to do is create an opportunity for our young people. They are the future
of the country. And we have to give them every opportunity possible.” (DB)