With one round of the first qualifier for the 2016 Barbados Chess Championships remaining, FIDE Master Orlando Husbands and Martyn Del Castilho are tied for the lead.
Both players have seven points from their eight games, but Husbands leads on tie-break from Del Castilho, whom he defeated in their earlier encounter.
In the last round the leaders maintained their dominance with Husbands easily dispatching Lydia Nurse, while Del Castilho had a slightly more difficult time before overcoming Allon Richards.
Lying in third place is International Master Delisle Warner on five and a half points.
Two other players then round out the coveted top five positions, with Emar Edwards and Bryan Prescod both on four and a half points.
In the last round Edwards, the current Under-18 champion, defeated the much higher rated Othneil Harewood in what has been one of the upsets of the tournament so far. Harewood had sacked the exchange against the youngster, but Edwards showed good nerves and played solidly to record victory.
Other results saw victories for Michael Barker over Nitin Mahtani, Richard Haddock against Yeshua Hill, Donna Murray from Azaria Johnson, Cody Sargeant over Jadyn Gill and Vanessa Greenidge, who shocked the higher rated Corie Elcock.
In the final round Husbands battles former schoolmate Prescod and Edwards comes up against Del Castilho. The first 5 players automatically qualify for the 2016 National Chess Championships.
- VENEZUELA - Soldiers abandon posts at Colombia border
- REGIONAL - Haitians seek water, food as businesses reopen
- GUYANA - Disabled woman perishes in fire
- REGIONAL - Bahamas Govt places repatriations of Haitians on hold amid unrest
- TRINIDAD - Police capture one of the country’s most wanted men
- CRICKET-WI/ENG-West Indies bracing for strong challenge, says Hope
- Mobile App