A man accused of kidnapping his wife was remanded to prison when he appeared in the District ‘A’ Magistrates Court today.
Forty-five–year-old shopkeeper Ervin George Thomas of Block 6, Princess Mary Lane, the Pine, St Michael was not required to plead to the indictable charges of causing bodily harm with intent to maim, disfigure or disable Patricia Thomas, as well as unlawfully removing her from Nursery Drive, St Michael without her consent on March 21, 2016.
In objecting to bail, police prosecutor Sergeant Neville Reid told Magistrate Kristie Cuffy-Sargeant that Thomas was already on bail in the High Court for a similar kidnapping charge.
He argued that while the charges were merely allegations, the strength of the evidence was “compelling” and he feared that if the accused was granted bail, there was a strong possibility he would repeat the offence.
“The victim has been placed in a safe environment and would like to return to safety, but fears she would be subjected to further harm,” Reid insisted.
Furthermore, he pointed out that both of Thomas’ victims had been involved in intimate relationships with him.
He also maintained that the injury sustained by the complainant “was done with some measure of severity”.
In her client’s defence, attorney Naomi Linton disputed the fact that the evidence was compelling, noting that the complainant had yet to give evidence.
“Freedom should not be jeopardized based on accusations which have yet been proven,” she argued.
While admitting that Thomas was facing a similar charge in the High Court, she said that case dated back to 2005.
Linton pointed out that during his 11 years on bail, her client had complied with every condition imposed and that his conduct had been “spotless”.
She told the magistrate that Thomas had a surety who was willing to sign bail for him and he was willing to accept any conditions imposed.
However, after listening to both arguments, Magistrate Cuffy-Sargeant denied his request for bail and remanded him to HMP Dodds until April 20.