The strike is effectively over and all workers should resume work immediately as their schedules would demand.
With these words, General Secretary of the Barbados Workers Union (BWU) Toni Moore announced the end of a week-long protest by employees of the Barbados Water Authority (BWA) over increments.
Moore disclosed tonight that the two sides had struck a deal during a six-hour meeting chaired by Minister of Labour Dr Esther
Byer-Suckoo and attended by Minister of Agriculture Dr David Estwick and top officials from both sides.
“We are happy that at the end of that meeting we can report that we have reached an agreement which we are sure will satisfy our constituents. Increments will be honoured as the union had requested and as was agreed with the parties previously. We have made some concessions as we indicated would be necessary sometime ago,” Moore told reporters in a prepared text in the foyer of Government Headquarters on Bay Street, St Michael.
The union leader did not say what concessions had been made, but revealed that details relating to the timing of disbursements would be worked out at talks with the Ministry of Finance after the Easter holidays.
“The workers of the BWA are sure that there will be no recriminations nor victimization. We wish to thank the division of the Barbados Port Authority Inc and all those other divisions who signalled that they were ready to join in solidarity with the workers of the BWA, particularly because they are convinced that injury to one is injury to all. We especially thank the Minister of Labour for her efforts and we must also thank the Minister of Agriculture who brought to this meeting the same commitment to settle the issue which was brought one month ago when his efforts were frustrated by the board of the BWA,” Moore added.
The union will share the details of the agreement with BWA workers at a meeting on Tuesday morning at the water company’s headquarters in The Pine.
Meanwhile, Dr Byer-Suckoo said the strike’s impact was “quite significant” since it affected flights, cruise visits and cargo.
“I was concerned, as the entire Government has been concerned as well. We intended to address the issue urgently anyhow,” the minister added.