West Indies’ Twenty20 World Cup star Carlos Brathwaite sparkled but for a brief moment as his Delhi Daredevils continued their erratic form in the Indian Premier League, to plunge to a nine-run defeat to Kings XI Punjab on Saturday.
Chasing 182 at the PCA Stadium, Delhi started well but then faltered to finish on 172 for five, missing the chance to join front-runners Kolkata Knight Riders and Gujarat Lions on 12 points.
They now lie third on ten points, after losing their fourth game of the season.
South African opener Quinton de Kock lashed a top score of 52 from 30 deliveries in a 70-run first wicket stand with Sanju Samson who made 49.
Karun Nair stroked 23 while Brathwaite, batting at number five, smashed a four and a six in scoring 12 from six balls before top-edging a pull at seamer Sandeep Sharma to be caught at mid-wicket in the 18th over.
At that stage, Delhi required 28 runs from the last two overs but a brilliant penultimate over from medium pacer Mohit Sharma which cost just three runs, turned the game firmly in Kings XI favour.
Wriddhiman Saha and Marcus Stoinis had earlier struck the joint top score of 52 as Kings XI mustered 181 for five after being sent in.
Opener Murali Vijay chipped in with 25 from 16 balls.
Brathwaite proved expensive as his two overs of medium pace leaked 20 runs.
- Local News
- GUYANA - Probe launched into death of cancer patients
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- Mobile App