A 45-year-old shopkeeper, who is accused of beating his wife and abducting her back in March this year, was released on $10,000 bail this afternoon.
However, before Magistrate Kristie Cuffy-Sargeant allowed Ervin George Thomas of Block 6, Princess Mary Lane, The Pine, St Michael to leave the District ‘A’ courtroom, she issued a stern warning to him to do nothing that would give his wife Patricia Thomas reason to bring further charges against him.
As conditions to his bail, he was therefore ordered to stay at least 100 yards away from his spouse; to stay away from their matrimonial home except on a one-off occasion that he has to collect personal items; to reside with his brother, who signed his bail today; and report to Central Police Station every Monday, Thursday and Saturday before noon with a valid identification card.
Police prosecutor Janice Ifill had earlier told the court that on March 21 this year, the victim suffered serious bodily harm at the hands of the accused man, who was intent on maiming, disfiguring or disabling her or causing her serious bodily harm.
The prosecutor said the accused, who operates a shop at Nursery Drive, the River Bus Terminal, also unlawfully removed his wife from Nursery Drive, without her consent. He is due to return to court on August 9.