A week after Government revealed it had dumped the proposed $700 million controversial Cahill plasma gasification programme, one renewable energy advocate yesterday raised the prospect of another such project here.
Director of the Future Centre Trust (FCT) Kammie Holder told reporters although Minister of the Environment Dr Denis Lowe announced that construction of the multi-million dollar project, which was to be located at Vaucluse, St Thomas, was halted, he had reason to believe that waste-to-energy was not dead here.
During debate on an Opposition-led no confidence motion against the Freundel Stuart administration last week, Lowe said the Cahill Energy project was no longer an option.
“I can assure the public today the Government ain’t going nowhere with that option . . . not after so many Barbadians made their voices heard,” he told the country.
However, without divulging details, Holder said he was reliably informed that Government could be pursuing a similar project. As a result, he said, he was not about to hold his breath.
“Let me say that as recently as last week Thursday, within hours of the Minister’s announcement, I got a call that a Canadian company was on the ground in Barbados having meetings claiming that they have a solution similar to waste-to-energy [but] of less environmental impact. So we are not out of the woods as yet. Waste-to-energy plants are seen as cash cows for a selected few,” Holder said at a media conference at BICO Limited’s office on Harbour Road, where officials discussed the dangers posed by styrofoam and plastic to the environment, and the issue of waste disposal.
The FCT director added that there were still a number of unanswered questions related to the failed Cahill Energy project, including the financial implications of terminating the scheme. (MM)