Dwayne Marlon Drakes broke down in tears before Justice Jacqueline Cornelius in the No. 5 Supreme Court yesterday as he pleaded “for a chance.”
“I am begging for a chance not only for myself but for my children,” Drakes told the court.
The Kew Land, Redman’s Village, St Thomas resident pleaded guilty back in November 2015, to having an unlicensed gun and one cartridge on April 4, 2008.
He had previously denied having the weapon.
As his trial continued, the court heard from the probation officer that the accused was known as a “family man” who had got himself involved with some negative influences in his community.
Drakes is the father of three children, ages 12, eight and one, two of whom lived with him, in his grandmother’s two-bedroom home.
An assessment by the probation officer showed that Drakes had a “medium to high risk chance of re-offending.”
“I did make some bad decisions in my teenage years, but as you get older, you realize that [you were wrong],” Drakes told the court.
Reading from a piece of paper, the accused went on: “This matter has been going on for six years, and within that time, I have not gotten into any trouble with the law. I have my children and a sick grandmother [to take care of].”
He went on to read that while in prison for six months, he saw a lot of young men who said that they did not have a father or father figure growing up. “And this brought tears to my eyes. I don’t want my children to be in that situation,” Drakes said as he broke into tears.
After taking a moment to compose himself, he went on: “I am sorry and want the court to take this matter into consideration. If given a chance, I intend to turn my life around and stay away from the negative . . . and to be a positive person to society.”
After that tearful plea and some deliberations, Drakes’ sentencing hearing was adjourned until June 8, 2016.