Newcomer Joaquin Brewster is headed to Bushy Park for the Sweet Soca competition on July 24th.
He is among eight finalists who emerged from over six hours of gruelling competition at the highly anticipated Phenomenal Friday at Kensington Oval, which ended just after 5:00 this morning.
He was the last of 16 performers in the Sweet Soca segment, with a crowd favourite, “This Place”.
An elated Joaquin told Barbados TODAY he was over the moon and still trying to process the news.
Also going ahead to challenge reigning monarch Edwin Yearwood for this year’s Sweet Soca crown will be reigning Party Monarch Peter Ram.
The lone female in the line-up is Nikita, who was a reserve in last year’s competition.
The full list of Sweet Soca finalists is as follows: Adrian Clarke, Biggie Irie, Joaquin, Marvay, Mikey, Mr Dale, Nikita and Peter Ram. The reserve is Yannick Hooper.
The Party Monarch finalists were also announced at last night’s show.
Reigning Party Monarch Peter Ram will face competition from Edwin Yearwood, as well as Leadpipe and Saddis who secured their spot in that competition for the first time.
The full list of finalists is as follows: Edwin Yearwood, iWeb, Leadpipe and Saddis, Lil Rick, Mikey, Mr. Dale, Mr Blood and TC. The Reserve is King Bubba. (DB)
Recent Local News
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- Mobile App