LONDON – Serena Williams won her 22nd major title on Saturday, defeating Angelique Kerber of Germany in the Wimbledon women’s final — and matching Steffi Graf’s Grand Slam Open era record.
Williams won 7-5, 6-3 in straight sets.
Kerber had earlier beat Williams in the Australian Open final for her first Grand Slam title. Williams also reached the final at the French Open, but lost to Garbine Muguruza.
Serena and Venus Williams will also play in the women’s doubles final on Saturday. The American sisters will face fifth-seeded Timea Babos of Hungary and Yaroslava Shvedova of Kazakhstan.
- Tremor jolts Jamaica
- GUYANA - Baby dies after brother feeds him rat poison
- THE BAHAMAS - No ‘rest’ for killer
- REGIONAL - Aide-de-camp to Bahamas’ GG gunned down in front of daughter
- REGIONAL - Counsellor says one suicide committed every week in Jamaica
- JAMAICA - Family, teachers, classmates mourn teen
- Mobile App