LONDON – Serena Williams won her 22nd major title on Saturday, defeating Angelique Kerber of Germany in the Wimbledon women’s final — and matching Steffi Graf’s Grand Slam Open era record.
Williams won 7-5, 6-3 in straight sets.
Kerber had earlier beat Williams in the Australian Open final for her first Grand Slam title. Williams also reached the final at the French Open, but lost to Garbine Muguruza.
Serena and Venus Williams will also play in the women’s doubles final on Saturday. The American sisters will face fifth-seeded Timea Babos of Hungary and Yaroslava Shvedova of Kazakhstan.
- REGIONAL - Haitians seek water, food as businesses reopen
- GUYANA - Disabled woman perishes in fire
- REGIONAL - Bahamas Govt places repatriations of Haitians on hold amid unrest
- TRINIDAD - Police capture one of the country’s most wanted men
- CRICKET-WI/ENG-West Indies bracing for strong challenge, says Hope
- GUYANA - Vice Chancellor denies running University broke as staff calls for audit
- Mobile App