SOURCE: BBC NEWS: At least 29 people have been injured in an explosion in a crowded district of New York City.
The cause of the blast late on Saturday in Chelsea remains unclear. Mayor Bill de Blasio described it as “intentional” but said that there were no known links to terror.
The force of the blast blew out windows and could be heard several blocks away.
Another device, reportedly a pressure cooker rigged with wires, was later found in the same district.
New York’s fire department said that of those injured, 24 were taken to hospital.
One received a puncture wound described as serious, while the rest suffered scrapes and bruises.
The explosion occurred around 21:00 (01:00 GMT on Sunday), outside a residence for blind people on West 23rd Street.
Witnesses said people ran in all directions following the “incredibly loud” blast.
Some reports said the blast went off in a black metal construction toolbox, others that it was in a rubbish bin.
Mr de Blasio said: “The initial indication is this was an intentional act.”
But he added: “We also want to be upfront saying that there is no evidence at this point of a terror connection to this incident.”
- Local News
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- REGIONAL - Cruise Line warns passengers to avoid Fish Fry area in Bahamas
- Mobile App