Vendors, who were earlier ordered by Government to vacate the River Bus Terminal by Sunday, have been given a reprieve of sorts.
Director of Transport at the Transport Authority Alex Linton told Barbados TODAY Friday afternoon they would be granted an extension.
However, he could not say exactly how long they would be allowed to stay, even though he was sure it would not be as many as ten days.
“The latest position with the vendors is yes, they still have to move . . . and we have been in consultation . . . and not because of the Opposition input. Even before then, we were trying to find the best win-win position for all concerned and we believe we have now been able to get to that point whereby we think that more time can be afforded,” Linton told Barbados TODAY.
However, he said their relocation was still absolutely necessary to facilitate construction work on phase two of the Constitution River Terminal Re-Development Project, which he said was long overdue.
“It is improvement work that needs to be done to the River Terminal that has not seen improvements for the last three to four decades,” the transport director said, explaining that the second phase would take about 36 weeks to complete.
Earlier this week, Opposition Leader Mia Mottley met with the vendors who had complained to her that they were only given ten days to pack up and leave.
In response, Mottley said Government should be made to foot the bill for the relocation, arguing that “you cannot take people who have been working here 19 years, 20 years, 22 years, give them ten days notice and then tell them, ‘the cost is at you to move’.
“It is unacceptable and it is wrong and it sends a signal of two Barbadoses,” Mottley said.
However, Linton told Barbados TODAY compensation was not being considered.