Source: The Royal Gazette: A death threat against the life of Premier Michael Dunkley has been pulled from online after being circulated on the social networking service Instagram.
On Saturday Instagram announced that the account had been removed for violating its guidelines.
The poster had requested to be messaged if willing accomplices wished Mr Dunkley’s “family’s info, his address and the addresses and numbers for his colleagues”.
The account, named “dunkleymustdie”, had almost 350 followers.
Separate responses say the Premier has “only a few weeks left to live” and that “he must resign by Tuesday or his family and he will feel what Bermudians have felt for far too long!”
This escalation of threatened criminal intent against the leader of a sitting government came in the aftermath of a violent showdown between protesters blocking the gates of Parliament on Friday .
Images of the confrontation, which included the use of pepper spray against demonstrators, many of them seniors and women, have outraged residents.
“Police are aware of the social-media threats to the Premier and his family and have commenced an investigation into the matter,” a police spokesman said. “Additionally, the offensive posting has been brought to the attention of the service provider for review.
“Anyone with any information that might assist police in identifying the original poster is encouraged to contact police on 295-0011 or the independent and confidential Crime Stoppers hotline on 800-8477.”
This turn of events came less than a day after the Premier said that residents should have nothing to fear in the wake of disruptions that have delayed the legislature’s handling of the airport redevelopment deal.
“I feel perfectly safe and comfortable tonight in spite of what took place today,” he told The Royal Gazette yesterday.
“I urge people, don’t be concerned about your safety. If you have those concerns, contact the police. I feel that Bermuda is still a very safe place.
“It’s really tragic and unfortunate what happened today, but people should not be concerned about their safety unless they put themselves in confrontational issues that can be contentious.”
David Burt, the Leader of the Opposition, despite his many disagreements with the Premier, has responded to developments with a statement of condemnation.
He said: “I condemn in the strongest possible terms the death threats made against Premier Michael Dunkley, his family and other members of the One Bermuda Alliance.
“Although we may disagree with the OBA on best way for Bermuda, the Bermuda Progressive Labour Party does not condone violence of any kind, for any reason, against the Premier or any members of the OBA.”