A 21-year-old Canadian national was today handed over to immigration authorities after he was caught attempting to enter the country last Sunday with 23 sealed packages of cannabis, concealed in a false bottom in his suitcase.
Andriy Kogut was arrested on arrival at the Grantley Adams International Airport and was subsequently charged by police with possession of cannabis, possession with intent to supply and trafficking.
Today, he appeared before Acting Magistrate Elwood Watts in the District ‘B’ Magistrates’ Court where he pleaded guilty to the offences.
He was fined $15, 000 forthwith or two years in prison for the offence of importation, and was convicted, reprimanded and discharged on the other offences.
The fine was paid and he was handed over to immigration officers.
- Local News
- GUYANA - Probe launched into death of cancer patients
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- Mobile App