Following the closure of Worthing Beach on Friday, December 2, as a result of problems with overflowing manholes in the area, The Ministry of Health in a statement this afternoon said it was satisfied that the temporary closure of the beach may now be discontinued and that the beach was fit for all recreational uses.
“These recommendations are based on the results of monitoring of nearshore water quality conducted on Monday, December 5, by the Environmental Protection Department. The results of tests conducted at the Public Health Laboratory indicate that the bacteriological levels meet the WHO and United States Environmental Protection Agency’s standards for recreational waters.
“The Ministry of Health is further satisfied that an operational plan has been put in place to address maintenance issues at the South Coast Sewage Treatment Plant and will continue to support the work of the multi-sectoral committee that is overseeing this work,” the statement added.
It was issued after Minister of Health John Boyce and Minister of Tourism Richard Sealy visited the beach this morning and took a dip in the water before carrying away the warning signs that were posted on the beach earlier this week.
- REGIONAL - Haitians seek water, food as businesses reopen
- GUYANA - Disabled woman perishes in fire
- REGIONAL - Bahamas Govt places repatriations of Haitians on hold amid unrest
- TRINIDAD - Police capture one of the country’s most wanted men
- CRICKET-WI/ENG-West Indies bracing for strong challenge, says Hope
- GUYANA - Vice Chancellor denies running University broke as staff calls for audit
- Mobile App