The BBC is reporting that Nigeria has confiscated 2.5 tonnes of ‘plastic rice’ smuggled into the country by unscrupulous businessmen.
The Nigerian customs service says the fake rice was intended to be sold in markets during the festive season.
He said the rice was very sticky after it was boiled and could be harmful if people ate it.
It is not clear where the seized bags came from but rice made from plastic pellets was found in China last year.
Rice is the most popular staple food in Nigeria.
The BBC’s Peter Okwoche says it is the only foodstuff that crosses cultural and ethnic lines across the country
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- REGIONAL - Cruise Line warns passengers to avoid Fish Fry area in Bahamas
- Mobile App