Police are investigating a robbery, which occurred around 7:40 p.m. Wednesday in the car park of the Sharon Moravian Church, Sharon, St Thomas.
Two church officials – – including the priest Ezra Parris and the organist Carl Ifill — were pounced on by three masked men, including one armed with a firearm.
One of the victims reportedly received minor injuries, after he was slapped by one of the assailants.
Police are asking anyone with information that can assist them in these investigations to contact police emergency number 211, Crime Stoppers at 1800 (TIPS) 8477, the District ‘D’ Police Station at 4191729, 419-1726, or the nearest police station.
Lawmen have also called on members of the public to be on their guard during the Yuletide season. Simple safety tips can include:
- When parking your vehicle to go shopping, or participating in other activities, avoid parking in remote areas, and park in lit and travelled areas.
- When returning to your vehicle, scan the interior of your vehicle to be sure that no one is hiding inside, or that you were not followed.
- When exiting your vehicle, scan the surroundings to be sure that persons are not lurking on the outside.
- Have your keys in your hand when approaching your vehicle to avoid delays by fumbling and looking for your keys.
- Do not resist if someone tries to take your property.
- Do not chase someone who robs you, they may have a weapon, instead call 211.