Police are yet to release the name of the 74-year-old woman who was attacked and killed by pit bulls a stone’s throw away from her Monroe Road, Haggatt Hall, St Michael home this morning.
However, the tragic death of the elderly woman has left the entire community in shock.
Up to 9 a.m. the victim’s body was still lying at the scene, as investigations continued into the fatal incident, which occurred around 5:30 a.m. The owner of the dogs, who also lives in the area, was assisting police with their probe.
In a brief statement to reporters at the scene, Police Public Relations Officer Inspector Roland Cobbler confirmed that the attack was by five dogs, including pit bulls.
Police and family members also revealed that another resident, 30-year-old Damien McCollin, sustained injuries after he reportedly came to the woman’s rescue.
He was rushed to hospital by ambulance with several bites about his body. A piece of his toe was apparently bitten off during the vicious attack.
(Photos and reporting by Katrina King.)
- Local News
- GUYANA - Probe launched into death of cancer patients
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- Mobile App