Five people were left homeless after fire swept through Windsor Road, Bank Hall, St Michael around 4 a.m.
The blaze destroyed three wooden houses, and damaged two others.
The four-bedroom, one-bathroom home of 76 –year-old Violene Griffith and her son 48-year-old Robert Griffith were destroyed whilst the home of 46-year-old Grace Price received structural damage.
A five bedroom, two-bathroom wooden house owned by 56-year-old Gloria Greaves was also affected by the fire along with two other unoccupied houses on the property. According to police, Greaves and her family members were jolted from their sleep by an explosion. The family discovered the house was on fire and quickly made their escape.
The blaze quickly spread to the nearby houses.
Three fire tenders and fourteen fire officers under the command of Divisional Officer Errol Gaskin responded to the blaze.
Police are continuing investigations.
- Local News
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- GUYANA: Body of child found after gold mine collapses
- REGIONAL - Cruise Line warns passengers to avoid Fish Fry area in Bahamas
- Mobile App