Police are warning members of the public to be on the lookout for a telephone scammer.
Lawmen say they have received several reports of an unidentified individual calling households from an overseas number, area code 803, pretending to be a family member and trying to persuade people to remit funds.
“The general public is being advised against sending money or engaging in any financial transaction with callers without first confirming that the caller is indeed a bonafide family member,” police said in a brief statement this evening on the matter.
“Members of the public are also being advised that they should alert the police of any suspicious calls or activity,” the statement added.
- GUYANA - Probe launched into death of cancer patients
- TRINIDAD - Gov't prepares legislation to treat with asylum seekers
- GUYANA - Legislator who brought down gov't may have committed treason
- GUYANA - Gov't maintains position regarding incident involving Venezuelan navy
- JAMAICA - Twenty murders in first week of 2019
- Caribbean islands record three earthquakes in 24 hours
- Mobile App